Congratulations on your new home!
While moving will always be stressful, there is a way to make it a little less so by organizing your efforts ahead of time. Below is a moving checklist to help with your move.
Immediately after your offer is accepted:
- Book your moving company or truck rental company to avoid last-minute headaches.
- If you have a gym membership, find out what it’s going to take to cancel, transfer or sell your membership.Contact your doctor, veterinarian, insurance agent and your child’s school to find out what you have to do to transfer your records – or insurance coverage – to a new location.
- If you’re moving into a condo, find out what’s involved in booking the elevator (i.e. deposit) and book it as soon as possible. Two months before moving day:
- Start gathering moving supplies – boxes, packing tape, newspaper, etc.
- Change your mailing address using Canada Post’s (canadapost.ca) online ‘Smart Moves’ program.
One month before moving day:
- Get packing! Start with the items you don’t use on a regular basis. Make sure boxes are clearly marked with the new room destination as well as a list of the contents. Jot down items of significant value, for moving insurance purposes.
- If you opted not to use Canada Post’s Smart Moves program, now is the time to start notifying everyone about your upcoming address change. Here is a breakdown of who this list should include:
Utilities: electricity, gas, water, telephone, cable
People/Organizations: friends, relatives, religious groups
Insurance/Finances: life/accident/personal property insurance provider, bank, credit card company
Publications: newspapers, magazines
Business Accounts: dry cleaner, drug store
Government Offices: health, vehicle registration and drivers license
Professional Services: doctor, dentist, lawyer
Two weeks before moving day:
- Check in with your moving/truck rental company – just to be safe.
- Cancel or transfer your newspaper service.
- Transfer your hydro/utilities account and your cable/phone. Make sure you cancel the services the day after you move out, and activate the hydro at your new residence the day before you move in.
A few days before moving day:
- Re-confirm arrival time of your moving truck. If moving yourself, re-confirm your reservations with the truck rental company..
- Pack a travel bag with the items your family may need on moving day such as tooth brushes, change of clothing, medications, hair bushes, soap, toilet paper, paper plates and cups, aspirin, etc.
- If you are moving yourself, start dismantling dressers, tables and other large furniture.
- Empty, defrost and clean your refrigerator at least 24 hours before moving day. Moving day:
- Make note of all utility readings (new and old home).
- Supervise movers as they load and unload the truck (or, if you’re moving yourself, remember to lift with your legs – not your back!)
- Designate someone to direct the movers and determine which boxes go in which rooms.
- Check for damaged items before the movers leave. Also make sure all appliances are in working order.
- Enjoy your new home!